Thursday, March 05, 2009

Top ten books

In a homeschooling on-line conference we were asked to list our top 10 favourite picture books, novels and non-fiction books. I didn't spend very long at it. For the most part these are not carefully considered choices, just off-the-top thoughts; I can already think of a few I'd like to substitute.

Picture books
1. Owl Moon by Jane Yolen
2. When Sophie Gets Angry by Molly Bang
3. The Quiltmaker's Gift by Jeff Brumbeau
4. Old Turtle by Douglas Wood
5. Miss Rumphius by Barbara Cooney
6. Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak
7. The Snowy Day by Ezra Jack Keats
8. Flotsam by David Wiesner
9. Weslandia by Paul Fleischman
10. Ten Seeds by Ruth Brown

Novels (too many faves to list, but here are some)
1. Ida B. by Katherine Hannigan
2. How I Live Now by Meg Rosoff
3. The House of the Scorpion by Nancy Farmer
4. The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis
5. Everything on a Waffle by Polly Horvath
6. Life of Pi by Yann Martel
7. The Golden Compass by Philip Pullman
8. Lizzy Bright and the Buckminster Boy by Gary Schmidt
9. Number the Stars by Lois Lowry
10. The Mozart Season by Virginia Euwer Wolff

Non-fiction books (a wide-ranging sampling of some of our favourites)
1. Hungry Planet & Material World by Peter Menzel
2. The Kingfisher Encyclopedia of World History
3. How People Live by Dena Freeman
4. Joy Hakim's Story of Science volumes
5. Kids Knitting by Melanie Falick
6. Penrose the Mathematical Cat by Theoni Pappas
7. The Cartoon History of the Universe (and others) by Larry Gonick
8. A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson
9. Stretching by Bob Anderson
10. On Food and Cooking: The Science and Lore of the Kitchen by Harold McGee

7 comments:

  1. Joy Hakim has a great American history series, too (I used to teach American history...) Not that this would be useful to Canadian kids...but it had great stories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kelly, we actually own The History of US. But it didn't make my top 10 list because, well, because we're Canadians. And because there are so many other great books.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous6:22 am

    Very interesting list. I was surprised how many of those titles I haven't read yet. But I was pleased to see Bryson's book on your list. I also think it was excellent. What about "Guns, Germs, and Steel" or "The Universe in a Nutshell"?

    Hmm... I think I may post my own list on my blog...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sedlmeier, those are great books too, but they haven't found their way into our homeschooling yet, so they wouldn't make my list at this point. I'll be interested to see your list.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous11:49 am

    I just finished it. I've read them all and want my kids to read them but, seeing as they're preschoolers, we've only gotten through the picture books.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love searching book lists for ideas on my next book to read that I may not have know was out there! How I Live Now sounds interesting simply by its title--off to look for some about it.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous8:06 am

    Nice choices! I hope you don't mind if I steal this idea for my own blog?

    ReplyDelete

This blog is moving to archive-only status. Please consider posting comments instead at the active version of the blog at nurturedbylove.ca/blog

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.