Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Feet up

A day with nothing scheduled for me and the kids! Erin went to work. Fiona and I practiced together. The other kids did their practicing -- outside, in some instances. Dirt got shovelled and raked. Chickens got fed. London Fogs got made, and drunk.

Fiona and I went for a hike. We collected special rocks, as usual. There was hula-hooping on the deck. There was a teenager on the phone on the deck for almost two hours. Said teenager also did four hours of practicing, so who's complaining? Not I.

I tried a slow, easy 6km run today. SI joint pain was a minimal 2/10 and I'm stiff and a good bit more sore afterwards. But overall it's nowhere near as bad as it was last week, so I think I'll do another easy run tomorrow.

Supper was green salad, sweet potato fries with curry yogourt dip, and Essence of Waldorf Salad. Mmm. We haven't had the latter for ages, but our Gravenstein apple tree is overflowing with crisp tart green fruit and I decided to give this salad a whirl again. The kids were fairly unimpressed, but Chuck and I loved it as always.

Essence of Waldorf Salad

5 large sticks of celery
3 medium-sized tart green apples
1 cup lightly toasted walnut pieces
1/3 cup mayonnaise
2 Tbsp. cider vinegar
1 Tbsp. sugar
1/4 tsp. salt
2 tsp. mild prepared horseradish
1 Tbsp. dijon mustard

Chop celery. Core apple and chop. Put apple and celery in a bowl with walnut pieces. Mix together remaining ingredients to make dressing. Dump over the salad and mix.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog is moving to archive-only status. Please consider posting comments instead at the active version of the blog at nurturedbylove.ca/blog

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.