Wednesday, August 12, 2009

A plan

It's a preliminary plan, but here's the general idea.

Week 1: I drive Erin and Noah to Calgary. Stay overnight at motel. Noah has a lesson early the next morning and then he and I drive home. Erin stays for four days at her teachers' home getting at least two violin lessons and possibly a piano lesson (with whom? no idea...), accompaniment session, recital etc., then comes home on the overnight bus. She arrives in time for choir, and can take part in Summit Strings.

Week 2: Erin is home, attends the school's Facilitated Learning Lab part-time. Practices her brains out, attends choir, accompanies at group class, plays in the community orchestra.

Week 3: Erin buses to Calgary, spends four days, repeating the lessons and other sessions. Buses home, does choir and Summit Strings.

Week 4: Repeat of Week 2.

Bus schedules are not ideal, but workable. I'll be doing an extra 10 hours of driving a month to get her to and from towns served by bus routes. Will it kill me? Who knows. I'll still only be driving to Calgary once a month at most, for Noah's lesson. I'll be spending one day a month less in Calgary too, saving a night at the motel, since we'll be doing the turnaround the same day. She'll be able to continue all her local activities with the exception of Community Choir. It's a sacrifice she's willing to make even though she loves that choir. Will this work for her Calgary teachers/billeting family? They seem more than willing to have her, amazingly, generously enough.

She's very excited about this plan. Lots of discussing, exploring and arranging left to do, but this is a post which has only three question marks, so that's some sort of progress.

3 comments:

  1. Wow! And here I was lamenting how busy our lives are here. I think I'll just be thankful for what we've got! lol!

    It sounds workable; at least worth trying!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope this works out for her and all of you. Seems like it might all hinge on the reliability of the bus. It is amazing how seemingly complex problems can often have a solution.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Natalie4:48 am

    Hi,
    Here's a comment from a complete random to brighten up your day :D My name is Natalie, I'm 17 years old, and I live in Christchurch, New Zealand.

    I've been following your blog on and off for the last year or so - I originally stumbled upon it when browsing for Suzuki-related sites (I'm Suzuki-trained, I guess) - it's really interesting, I like it a lot - and at this point I just wanted to add my two cents, if you have no objection.

    Here they are: I think your plan for Erin is an awesome/great/fantastic idea and completely worth it!! For me, even living in a rather small city on
    a rather small island thousands of kilometres from pretty much anywhere, I've had so many opportunities in music. Though, to be fair, I don't actually want a career in music (I'm studying law, maths and physics at uni, just doing some music-y stuff on the side), but lessons, chamber
    groups, orchestras, choirs, regular concerts and recitals to both watch and perform in year-round is something I've probably always taken for granted a little (as if you needed any more affirmation as to how important they are!). I hope Erin can follow her dreams!! All the travel, etc would be worth it. Good luck Erin :D :D

    Cheers,

    Natalie

    P.S. I'm sorry if this comment appears strange (read: stalker-ish) on any level. I don't mean to interfere, promise.

    ReplyDelete

This blog is moving to archive-only status. Please consider posting comments instead at the active version of the blog at nurturedbylove.ca/blog

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.