Wednesday, August 10, 2011

This young man

Who is this young man who has grown up amidst our three daughters? He can make me laugh a hundred times an hour with comments that belie a razor sharp mind. Random, sarcastic repartee, self-deprecating, ironic ... and always dry and off-the-wall.

For the first time ever, this week I took him clothes shopping. The complete lack of anything resembling a wardrobe and an awakening interest in such things gave him a certain amount of motivation. For instance he had one pair of non-dress pants that fit, and his only footwear was a pair of outgrown sandals from two years ago and a pair of black dress shoes. No casual shoes, no sneakers, nothing.

We had a relatively enjoyable productive shopping expedition. Now he has clothes again, and they're mostly men's clothes. He's still a bit small for 14, but he's definitely growing and the new wardrobe has created a visual shift towards adulthood. That and these lovely photos of him from last week.

How cute is this one? These two have grown up in the same Suzuki program here. They're practically siblings. It's not like a guy with three sisters needs an auxiliary sister, but hey, this one can get Noah to stretch himself in ways the others can't. These two have sung in the same choirs every year, they've played in all the same chamber ensembles from their very first string quartet and orchestra experiences to their recent quintet, chamber orchestra and string orchestra placements at SVI. I can only think of two or three significant musical experiences that they've had apart from each other compared to the dozens and dozens they've had together. And this is the world's cutest picture of both of them. Sophie shot it: Noah would never have looked this angelic if I'd been behind the camera!

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous6:32 am

    Look at him! Wow...so grown up, indeed. And how wonderful that he has such a dear friend. I often dream about who will love my boy and hope they are as wonderful as friends like Noah's.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed reading about your boy...mostly it seems that the girls "steal the show" on the blog. :) Since I'm raising three boys, I'd love to read more about yours! He looks more grown up than 14, I think. Quite handsome, and very self-assured.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, the younger two girls figure largest in my blog these days. Generally my teens aren't interested in being "on display" here as much -- particularly Noah -- and I've done my best to respect that. But sometimes I can't hold myself back. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great photo and enjoyed all the updates. He looks happy, relaxed and getting very grown up. Glad the SVI went so well.

    ReplyDelete

This blog is moving to archive-only status. Please consider posting comments instead at the active version of the blog at nurturedbylove.ca/blog

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.